← Back to Prince’s Research Excerpts: Temples & Mormonism Index

Prince’s Research Excerpts: Temples & Mormonism – 1823-1830

Below you will find Prince’s research excerpts titled, “Temples, 1823-30.” You can view other years here.

Search the content below for specific dates, names, and keywords using the keyboard shortcut Command + F on a Mac or Control + F on Windows.

TEMPLES, 1830.

ca. 1830:  Temple site at Harmony, Pa.?

The Wilford C. Wood Collection

Volume I

An annotated catalog of documentary-type materials in the Wilford C. Wood Collection.

by LaMar C. Berrett

Published by the Wilford C. Wood Foundation

Printed by the Brigham Young University Printing Service

September 1972

1-H-a-13: Letter from Wilford C. Wood to President George Albert Smith; Woods Cross, Utah, July 1, 1948.  A long letter concerning the purchse of the Isaac Hale property at Harmony, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania.  In the letter Wilford indicates he had found a map that located the temple site at Harmony, Pennsylvania.  He also tells of placing a sign where the Aaronic Priesthood was restored.  Typed.  3 pp.

1-H-a-32: Letter from Earl T. Kingsbury to George Q. Morris; Jackson, Pennsylvania, February 10, 1955; concerning the Aaronic Priesthood property at Harmony, Pennsylvania.  Also mentioned was a foundation of the first Mormon temple, three miles north of Oakland.  Typed and handwritten.  1 p.

1-H-a-38: Letters between Wilford C. Wood and Omer Dean Nelson, Tucson, Arizona; May 11, August 2, 1963; concerning the site of the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood and the Oakland Temple site.  Typed.  1 p.

1-H-a-39: Letters between Wilford C. Wood, Woods Cross, Utah; and M. D. O’Malley, attorney at law, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania; between September 23, Octber 7, 1963.  The letters are concerned with the R. D. Parks property at Susquehanna, Pennsylvania.  There is also a statement that the Parks property bordered the Harold McKinney property, which contained the foundation of the first Mormon temple.  According to Wilford, this is where Peter, James, and John appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to restore the Melchizedek Priesthood, June 27, 1829.  Also included is the ordination prayer given by Peter, James, and John.  Also included is a letter between Wilford and Robert D. Parks, October, 1963.

1-H-a-45: Letters between Wilford C. Wood and Duane E. Jeffery, Berkeley, California; March 7, 27, 1964; concerning the temple at Oakland, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania.  Typed.  1 p. each.

1-H-b-7: Statement concerning Emily Blackman’s history of Susquehanna County which indicates that the “Foundation of the First Mormon Temple” at Oakland, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, is an error.  Typed.  1 p.

1-H-m-1: Photograph of an old map of Oakland in the Susquehanna area, 1873.  This is unique because it indicated the foundation of the first Mormon temple.

1-H-m-2: Map of Oakland, Susquehanna Depot Post Office, Pennsylvania, 1873.  This is an original map of Oakland with a scale of 200 rods to an inch and is especially valuable because it indicates the location of the foundation of the first Mormon temple.  This map was given to Wilford C. Wood by Mr. Baker, editor of the Evening Transcript.  Filed in the inner-sanctum.

2-K-a-6: Copy of a letter from Wilford C. Wood to President David O. McKay; Woods Cross, Utah, May 27, 1960; concerning the concept that the first wife of Hyrum Smith and the grandmother of Joseph Smith were buried in temple clothes at Kirtland, Ohio.  Wilford has a temple garment that was reported to have been used in the Kirtland Temple.  Typed.  1 p.

4-A-a-5: Letter from Margaret Lanihan to Frank Hattonward; Amboy, Illinois, September 22, 1955.  The letter quotes from the book, Biography of a Country Town–USA, by Anthony J. Becker.  The country town is Anboy.  It tells of the Mormons setting in the area of Amboy and the illegal arrest of Joseph Smith near Dickson.  It also indicates that at one time the Mormons proposed to build an elaborate temple north of Rocky Ford on a knoll of the Tim Arend farm and that the cornerstone laid is still used as a step to enter the old farm house.  Typed.  2 pp.